ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Decoy propeller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Product Reviews
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    tbvet3
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:18 PM    Post subject: Decoy propeller Reply with quote

OK, so I got a couple of the Explorer II decoy propellers looking to put some motion in my water spreads, www.openzone2000.com I got the Explorer II over the Explorer I since it said they would move goose floaters. Not really sure of the difference between the II & I since both use a ďDĒ battery.

Out of the box a couple things. The nut on the keel clip was loose. Canít honk it down against the plastic so I snugged it finger tight and hit it with a drop of lock tite. I donít know how lock tite holds up to repeated wet/dry cycles so I also jam threaded a 6-32 nut on it. The bolt is a finer thread than 32 but it ainít coming off.

Next thing I noticed is the hook up between the keel clip and the ďtorpedoĒ has a lot of play in it. Guessing around +/- 15 degrees.

Third thing was no propeller guard. With the turn on/off system used on this one will want to be careful of your hands. The propeller is probably low torque but I donít like getting hit by something fast moving. Also wonder about weeds fouling things. Maybe a badminton birdie cut down as a weed guard?

The front snaps off and thereís a double O ring seal. The battery goes in with the (+) terminal facing aft.

The assembled system clips easily onto the keel. Looking at the curves of the clip it should fit just about any decoy. Iíd prefer a bit stronger clip but after trying it out itís probably fine. Other thing Iíd like to see is break away protection, just in case.

To turn on/off you rotate the 2 parts of the torpedo to align 2 triangles molded inot the housing. I used a sharpie to color them and make them easier to see.

OK, grabbed a couple of dekes, threw on my new waders (they didnít leak), hop on the quad and down to the pond.
    First thing I tried was the system on 1 decoy. Wally World/Flambeau special. Not the greatest decoy but good for adding numbers cheaply.

The decoy moves nicely, even into the breeze. Goes in a circle because of the line and the rudder isnít necessary, I had it set amid ships. Think Iíll pull the rudder and use the upper hole for a break away line. The breeze flattened the windward side of the circle so itís not swimming in a perfect circle.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/tbvet3/Single_zpsaceb042f.mp4][IMG]http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/tbvet3/th_Single_zpsaceb042f.mp4

Next I tried something Iíve had in mind for several years. I like the look of a drake ďchasingí a hen in the spread somewhere. Using decoy cord to connect the 2 is OK except when things are calm. Inevitably the 2 end up together and spoil the whole spread. So I made up a spreader bar from an old coat hanger.

Put the torpedo on the hen and into the water with the whole rig (grabbed the handiest line I had) and it looks pretty dog gone good to me. The rig moves slower than the 1 deke but thatís expected. I really like how the drake doesnít always follow the same line as the hen. 1 of these double rigs will be in all my spreads this year until proven otherwise.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/tbvet3/Double_zps22558f80.mp4][IMG]http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/tbvet3/th_Double_zps22558f80.mp4

Iím thinking these propellers will be a nice addition to the spread. Theyíll definitely be on the outside of the spread since they take up every bit of room the anchor cord allows and theyíll get tangled if they swim around another deke.

Iím also not going to worry about a weed guard. The torpedoes donít have enough Wheaties to push the deke through the weeds so Iíll just make sure theyíre set in clear water
    CBR103
    Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:53 PM    Post subject: motion Reply with quote

Good stuff

Thanks
    money pit
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody is getting restless for the season to start!

Why would they make the thing orange? Could you or a duck notice the color in clear water??
    tbvet3
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
    Somebody is getting restless for the season to start!

I was ready last April.

sniper

Quote:
    Why would they make the thing orange? Could you or a duck notice the color in clear water??

Wonder that myself. Think maybe to resemble mallard feet? I can see it underneath the decoy in the pond here and it ain't the clearest water.
    jcneng
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so you can see it laying on the bottom when it falls off or is dropped? It looks good and probably better on windless day!
    Trout bum
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids and their toys bangin
    MRiddell
    Master Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing will draw ducks like flies...

..it'll stop working about 9am that first morning, and you'll set down your gun to go out to fix it, and that's when the magic happens.
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRiddell wrote:

..it'll stop working about 9am that first morning, and you'll set down your gun to go out to fix it, and that's when the magic happens.

I think Carnac is correct!

Don't trust whitey.
    Ajax5240
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRiddell wrote:

You beat me to it, I was gonna say that it'll work till shooting light. You have high hopes!

Once early season is behind us, batteries sitting in frigid water don't last long.

CAPTAIN - Team Wishful Drinker
    Vintage Bayliner Pro-Staff/Field Staff
    Avery Field Corn Pro-Staff - "It's like real corn, but a lot more plastic."
    Ray Starck
    Master Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had something along those lines once... Worked for the first circle, grabbed some duck weed and burned the motor up on the next. Now that I think of it, everything from that company burned up Shocked
    kol1293

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would patent this ASAP
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: