ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Fryingpan River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Fly Fishing
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Hockeyman3
    Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:54 PM    Post subject: Fryingpan River Reply with quote

Took my first trip to the Fryingpan over the 4th. Wasn't to bad, managed a few 12-13 inchers on the upper/middle river. The scouting reports I received before going were right on the money, its crowded! Hard to find places to fish on the public sections, with 4 to 5 cars in each pulloff. Fished the river above Ruedi, practically no one fishing, smaller fish, but just as fun.

Spent an hour fishing the riffle out of the toilet bowl after it rained and chased the 10 people out of there. Managed this nice rainbow. If you fish the toilet bowl, heed the advice other will give you about needing to have 6X or 7X tippet. I had on 3X fluoro and was glad I did as this fish jumped 4 times and zigzagged all over the bowl before running down river. Save the light stuff for further down river. PMD dries and nymphs and midges caught the majority of the fish for us, also try a small #22 grey spinner in the last hour or so, we had alot of luck with that. For the toilet bowl I used a hand tied white shrimp. There was a guy who was using a brown/earthworm colored San Juan Worm who had alot of luck as well. Happy Fishing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: